Thursday, December 11, 2008

Presents or Money?


I heard an interesting topic the other morning on my way to work. A valley Disc Jockey was asking the question, "Given the economy, would you prefer to receive money (gift card) or a present from your loved ones?"


I have thoughts about this, of course. Putting aside that the holiday is about giving and not receiving, I think it is wonderful to receive something that you want. Those that know me the best claim they have no idea what I want. I understand, I really do. I don't ever really want anything, but I would love to buy something, and have the means to do so, when I see it. I also know that if I were to buy them something that I think they might like, I might make a mistake.


So what's wrong with giving money or a gift card? Some will say that it takes away from gift giving and that you should put a lot of thought into what the person wants. I agree with this as well. However, some people, like myself, are hard to buy for. I am not offended if someone gets me a gift card and I always welcome money. Another comment I heard on the radio show was that someone might spend less on a present, but feel obligated to give more when money is being given.


How do you feel about this? What are your thoughts?



6 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Money, gifts, giftcards - it's all good to me.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Jannie, I agree :)

Anonymous said...

My husband got me a winter coat. It's -27C today, so I got my gift early. Something warm and thoughtful is wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer - Like you, I'm hard to buy for, so money or gift cards are the perfect choice.

With regard to gifts, I love when someone takes the time to find the perfect gift for the recipient. Even if it's not an expensive item, the thought put behind the gift makes it priceless.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Squawkfox,

That was very thoughtful of your hubby. I bet he feels good knowing he can help keep you warm even when he is not around.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Barbara,

I hope you are doing well and not working yourself too hard this holiday season. I hope that you get LOTS of money and gift cards :)