Thursday, February 12, 2009

Danifers Daily Commute: Volume 4



As I sit at the red light, waiting for time to pass, I notice someone running along the side of the street. This is not your normal "exercise" runner, but someone running to or from something. I begin to take note that the runner is trying to catch up to the public bus that is beginning to shut it's doors. I watch as the sprinter puts forth more effort to reach his destination. As he sees the bus begin to move slightly, as if to tease, the runner attempts to yell at the bus as if the driver will hear him. He then feverishly waves his hands, as he is running, to get the drivers attention. I hope he does not fall. As I watch this display, I wish there was something I could do. What if I honk my horn, would the bus take an extra moment before pulling away from the curb? Could this extra moment allow the runner to make it in time? Sadly, I watch the bus drive away as the deflated sprinter still continues to run after the bus, in hopes that he might have a chance.

Poor runner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer - There wasn't much you could do, was there? Hopefully the runner got to his destination in time.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Barbara,

You are right, there was nothing I could do. I actually wrote this as a little tongue in cheek. I feel sorry for the runner and hope that he was not too late to his destination, but the whole thing was a little funny to watch (in a twisted sort of way).