Thursday, February 12, 2009

Movie Review: He's Just Not That Into You


Great cast!

A movie everyone can relate to!

Funny & Heartwarming!

Good chick flick!

So these are all of the "headliners" that I was hoping to get out of this movie. And it lived up to my expectations.

This movie had some wonderful actors. From the beautiful Scarlett Johansson to the handsome Bradley Cooper and to the quirky Ginnifer Goodwin and the loveable Jennifer Aniston.

If you have ever been in a relationship, whether you are single and loving it or single and hating it, or if you have had your heart broken, you can and will relate to this movie. From the desperate attempts at finding true love and finding that one person who will love you for "you" this movie explores many things that we all go through.

He's Just Not That Into You was funny and dramatic all at the same time. It was a movie I saw with the girls, who, by the way, loved it.

I, on the other hand, had a lot to think about on my long drive home.

One couple that the movie followed has been together for 7 years, living happily unmarried, and they decide to break up because the woman feels they should marry and the man is against the legal union. After being apart for awhile and realizing that even though she is not married to this man, she still has a better "husband" in him than any of her relatives who are married to their own couch potatoes. She realizes that marriage is just a symbolization and that the relationship that you have with someone is what counts, not the piece of paper or the title that you hold.

Another couple in the movie appear to be happily married but yet, the husband finds himself drawn to a beautiful woman who pays him lots of attention and strokes his ego. Even though he realizes he is married and makes half-hearted attempts at pushing the "other woman" away, he pursues her and they start having an affair. This troubles me and could trouble anyone else who has been hurt by an affair. An affair is the way we all feel when we first begin a relationship with someone. You feel so in love and can't get enough of the person. You also believe this person can do no wrong. But once you are with them for awhile and the newness wears off and you see they are a real person, it's just not the same. Or, in this instance, if your lover shoves you in a closet while he makes love to his wife, it's pretty much over.

Then, there is the quirky girl who just can't figure out the signs that men put out. She believes what men tell her and assumes only the best. With help from a man who has "been around the block" and knows the ways of dating, she quickly learns to spot the phonies from the keepers. She does this by calling her helper during dates to run scenerios by him to get his help on how to deal with her date. Haven't we all been this girl? Blindsided by some smooth words at least once?

This movie has other cute story lines that I will not go into, as the above resonated more with me.

In closing, the movie was good and I would suggest seeing it (but maybe not as a date movie - maybe it's more of a chick flick after all).

Did you see this? What did you think? Did you have any deep thoughts or did you just dig/not dig the movie?






6 comments:

Dorsey said...

I think I am probably going to end up waiting until it comes out on DVD before I see it. I just can't bring myself to pay $10 a pop to go to the movies (WITHOUT snacks or a drink). So sadly, my snark or swoon will have to wait for probably 6 months or so...

N2ATIVEONE said...

Dorsey,

How have you been? Good to see you. I completely get what you are saying. I am amazed at how much movies are now days. I typically use my Netflix and The Red Box, but every now and then I slip away for a matinee.

Tess said...

I have not seen it but love going to the movies. Always have always will. Thanks for the review I'm calling my neighbor today.

I just heard a DJ on the raido say it's bad.So thanks for the review.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Have fun Tess, I hope you like it.

Vered said...

I haven't seen it. I've worked as a divorce attorney in the past and completely agree that most affairs ruin the "main" relationship and then they end, so people end up with nothing.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Vered,

I bet it was tough being a divorce attn'y seeing all of those relationships ending. And I am sure most were probably not so friendly.