Monday, November 17, 2008

Tips For Thawing A Turkey

So you want to thaw a turkey but don’t know how? Have I got the scoop for you.

If you have time, you can remove the turkey from the freezer and put it in your refrigerator and let it sit for a few days. You will need about 24 hours per every 5 pounds of turkey. So, for example, a 15-pound turkey would take about 3 days to defrost.

Another alternative is to use the microwave. Obviously you need a large enough microwave to hold your turkey. Turn the microwave on a low-to-medium setting for about 6 minutes per pound. Make sure you rotate it now and again from top to bottom and end to end. Be careful that the microwave doesn’t begin to cook the bird.

If you are limited on time, put the turkey in a leak-proof bag and then put it in a large pot of cold water and let it soak for about half an hour per pound. You should replace the water every half an hour.

Now that your turkey is defrosted, it’s time to cook it in the oven or to smoke it on the smoker. Make sure you know what kind of time frame you are working with before you begin this whole process. Actual cooking time can range from 3 – 5 hours, depending on how you cook it. Please consult your turkey’s packaging for details.


4 comments:

Daniel said...

already that time and we need to decide on turkey day>> so are we doing thanks giving or are we going to momsters?? either way i like you comment of smiking a turkey would you like me to give that a shot? oh and it sounds like you have thawing it out nder control so I could let you be in charge of that. : ) I love you You Beautiful!!

N2ATIVEONE said...

Hi babe. Yes, we are going to mom's. I don't know how she wants to cook it, but I assume she will want to do it the old fashioned way. We have not discussed the meal, but I will make sure you are next to me when we do.

Oh, and you never LET me be in charge, I AM in charge. Period! lol

Love you babe.

Squawkfox said...

This year I'm skipping the whole turkey ordeal in favor of a rolled turkey breast. So much easier with less mess and fuss. Plus, it's pretty when stuffed with veggies or breads.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Squawkfox,

Welcome. Thanks for visiting. Your idea of a rolled turkey breast sounds yummy. I will have to try that some time.

Have a good one.