Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tipping - For What It's Worth



I recently came across a really informative post over at Squawkfox. Fox asked readers, "Do you tip? How much?" As you can imagine, this led to a slew of varied comments. Within those comments, you really get a feel for the different ways that people handle tipping and what the service industry is like in general. Being someone who used to be in the service industry, I always wished that people were more educated in this topic. After all, when you are making less than minimum wage, tips were very important. They put the food on my table and dressed my family.

This is a really informative post, I think you should check it out.


4 comments:

Jannie Funster said...

Usually if it's under $10 I tip 20% and over $10 I stick to the 15% bracket.

I try to help out when I can, as people usually working for tips relaly depend on them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer - Great topic. I've known many people (especially single moms) whose tips make the difference between whether they and their families eat healthy or not (not to mention getting other expenses paid). For that reason, I'm a good tipper.

N2ATIVEONE said...

Jannie,

I am right there with you in the under $10 bracket. And you are right, people who work for tips do really depend on them. Plus, they have to deal with me, which can be a chore in itself :) lol

N2ATIVEONE said...

Barbara,

Happy Friday! Being a single mom, I appreciate people like you who understand and help us make our living. Even though I no longer work in the service industry, I know that's where I have been and I will always remember what it's like. So I too, like to help out. In fact, I have been known on more than one occasion to tip the bus boy more than the waiter, because he showed more attention.